Windradene is a rare example of Victorian period, Georgian architecture in Shellharbour Village. The home was built on a part of Walter Allen’s estate c.1871.
Walter Allen was an important pioneer of the area. He and his family lived in a residence next door to Windradene and also operated a store and post office in the town. Reputedly Windradene was built as a holiday house and leased out to visitors and tourists.
After Walter’s death in 1876, his wife Charlotte and son Edward carried on operating the store and post office in Addison Street, Shellharbour Village. In 1891 the Allen estate was sold at auction, shortly after Charlotte’s death.
The Norfolk Pine to the rear of Windradene dates to Arbor Day 1895, when pioneers planted pines along the Shellharbour foreshore and village to beautify the area.
|Windradene, Addison Street, Shellharbour Village c.2003|