Aboriginal people travelled up and down a track from the valley at Macquarie Pass to the escarpment for thousands of years before European settlers came to the area. Tullimbar camped with his tribe at the base of Macquarie Pass.
During the early years of settlement, when cedar was cut and transported to the harbour, many tracks were made through the thick forest. Ben Rixon was paid £5 to cut a path for horsemen, drays and buggies.
Mr. Carl Webber was employed to map a route for a road up Macquarie Pass when pressed by the local residents. Archibald Campbell MLA for the Illawarra paid for the cost of the initial survey.
On the 4th July 1898 Macquarie Pass was officially opened with over 600 people attending the festivities. The Albion Park Band entertained the crowds and a banquet was held at the Commercial Hotel at Albion Park; officiated by Louis Robert Mood of Shellharbour.
A marble tablet marking the opening of the Pass was placed on a rock wall at the top hair pin bend.
It reads - Macquarie Pass opened July 4th 1898 by the Hon. J. B. Young Minister for Works and Archibald Campbell M.P., this tablet erected by the Borough Council L. R. Mood Mayor Shellharbour, S.N. Co. J. Fraser J.P. Chairman, Albion Park A&H Society J. Brownlie President Robertson A. Society W.R. Hindmarsh President.